The good news is that another stadium is going up in its place. Fitting usage of sacred grounds.
If this looks like just another building being torn down to you. It probably means you weren’t there for any of the following:
- Dec 1962 – President Kennedy / Bay of Pigs – my Dad was there and I still have his plastic Cuban souvenir flag which was handed out. Plan to use it again soon.
- Jan 1969 – Super Bowl 3 – At the age of 9, I snuck into the game by myself with no money. Good lesson for life, cheap thrill set me up for a long and difficult day. I can confirm that there were no empty seats that day and that the ushers all brought their ‘A’ game. Rep Tancredo, long time ago dude, put the phone down.
- Nov 1971 – Florida Gators Flop – could not for the life of me figure out how they all fell at once.
- Jan 1972 – Orange Bowl Classic – Nebraska was using and rapidly discarding tear-away jerseys which I unsuccessfully begged #35 [Jeff Kinney, RB] to toss me at the end of the game.
- Jan 1972 – AFC Championship vs. Colts – This was my father’s [Adolfo] first & last football game with my brother and me. Experienced my 1st live sports nirvana moment on Griese to Warfield’s 75-yard touchdown pass play. Image of Rick Volk trying to chase down Paul Warfield on the play, please.
- 1974 – 1977 – Attended numerous games for my beloved Miami Senior High.
- Aug 1975 – Miami Toros soccer championship – I don’t really like soccer, but I chased supposedly loose Killian high school girls through the bowels of the OB. Toros lost, but I did ok.
- Jan 1982 – San Diego Chargers OT – I confess I wanted to leave at halftime. For once, my brother Fernando fought the impulse to leave early.
- Nov 1985 – Notre Dame – Introduction to a Jimmy Johnson [pronounced as one word in Little Havana] style whupping.
- Nov 1989 – Notre Dame – 3rd & 44.
- Oct 1992 – FSU – One of the wide-rights. Sorry, I get them confused.
- Mar 1996 – Brothers to the Rescue Prayer Ceremony.
- Oct 2000 – FSU – Dorsey to Shockey.
- Sept 2003 – Gators – Comeback against a truly hated opponent. Sweet.
- Oct 2006 – FIU – Blame myself for the scuffle. First time I ever had good seats at the OB.